I’m a girl who loves a little spicy kick of flavor in her food, so trying the new Del Monte Southwestern-Style Petite Cut® Diced Tomatoes was irresistible to me.
I decided to taste test the two to find my favorite:
- Del Monte® Petite Cut® Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies
- Del Monte® Petite Cut® Diced Tomatoes with Chipotle Chilies
So I made one of my favorite comfort foods, an American goulash done Midwest-style to soothe some of the Michigan homesickness I feel now and again.
When I make this, I make a lot. Two casserole dishes of a lot.
And that made it easy for me to do a tomato taste test, because I needed two cans of diced tomatoes, so I just used a different variety in each half. The problem is that I couldn’t decide which one I liked best.
So I ended up mixing the whole big lotta together and getting twice the Southwest flavor! (Recommended.)
American Goulash (Midwest-style)
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1 (16 oz) box elbow macaroni
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 tsp minced garlic (or 2-3 cloves fresh garlic, chopped)
2 (15 oz) cans tomato sauce
2 (15 oz) cans diced tomatoes
1/2 cup Philadelphia Italian Cheese & Herb Cooking Creme
3 T Worcestershire sauce
2 T chili powder
1 T salt
1 T sugar
Dash ground pepper
Dash garlic powder
Dash onion powder
1. Cook and stir the ground beef, breaking it into crumbles as it cooks. I use a really lean beef so I don’t normally have to drain any fat when it’s done, but if there is any, it should be drained. Stir in the onion, garlic, and green pepper and cook until onions are softened.
2. Cook elbow macaroni according to box directions; rinse with cold water (to stop it from cooking further) and drain.
3. Spray two large casserole dishes with cooking spray. Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, cooking creme, and spices; mix together well. Stir in ground beef, then stir in pasta, combining all ingredients well.
4. Bake covered at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes.
Mmmmmmm, so hearty and delicious!
Be sure to enter the Del Monte Southwestern Tomato Kick-off Sweepstakes with prizes like an ultimate entertainment package with a Sony® 55” LED TV, Bose® home theater system and Sony® Blu-ray player!
Follow the Del Monte Brand on Pinterest.
Create a Pinterest board named “Del Monte Southwestern Tomato Kick-Off”.
Pin at least two (2) Del Monte Tomato Recipes from the “Del Monte Southwestern Tomato Kick-Off” Pinterest board and at least two (2) football entertaining ideas.
Register your Pinterest board to the Del Monte page from January 21st through February 15th to be entered into the Del Monte® Southwestern Tomato Kick-Off Sweepstakes program.
One lucky reader will win a Del Monte gift pack which includes: (1) Del Monte® Petite Cut® Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies, 1) Del Monte® Petite Cut® Diced Tomatoes with Chipotle Chilies, and a $25 Visa gift card.
The Del Monte products, information and two gift packs have been provided by Del Monte. All opinions are my own.